Everything is Distributed
Essays on Performance and Operations.
We have reached a point in software development where we can no longer understand, see, or control all the component parts, both technical and social/organizational—they are increasingly complex and distributed. The business of software itself has become a distributed, complex system. How do we develop and manage systems that are too large to understand, too complex to control, and that fail in unpre‐ dictable ways?
- Everything Is Distributed
- Embracing Failure
- Think Globally, Develop Locally
- Data Are the Lingua Franca of Distributed Systems
- Humans in the Machine
- Beyond the Stack
- Cloud as Platform
- Development as a Distributed Process
- Infrastructure as Code
- Containerization as Deployment
- Monitoring as Testing
- Is This DevOps?
- Why Now?
- Revisiting DevOps
- Promise Theory
- Blameless Postmortems
- Beyond DevOps
- Performance Is User Experience
- The Slow Web
- The Human Impact
- It’s Not Just the Desktop: It’s Mobile, Too
- Selling It to Your Organization
- From the Network Interface to the Database
- Web Ops and Performance
- Broadening the Scope